Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:08 am 
Oldbie

How's everyone doing? I bet some of you would like to get started making a fun game. I bet more of you would like to get started making a game that other people play. Personally, I'd like to develop a fun game that is played by thousands of people, and I think that's an entirely reasonable goal. I'd like some help from you, though. So how about it?

I'm planning on making a game based on the idea outlined here: http://lostgarden.com/2008/06/shade-gam ... lenge.html

Core ideas:
* You collect mushrooms and want to maximize that resource
* Mushrooms grow in shade and shrink in sunlight
* The shade is changing over time
* Get too big and shrooms become bad shrooms, uh oh

I'm looking for one or two people who want to seriously work on a game. What does that mean? It means we're going to talk at least once a week for a few hours about the progress we're making. It means committing to prototype new ideas each week and then critiquing each others work. It means seeing the project through till the end.

What sort of stuff needs to be done? Well obviously all the basic game elements need to be implemented. More fun, the core ideas need to be hammered out and refined (most likely through prototyping). Even more fun we need to create a dynamic lighting system, I was thinking about using raycasting to do this.

After the game is done we're going to win Lost Garden's Gold Prize, what else? We'll also submit it to several indie game sites to increase awareness. We may even try to submit it to a major game portal. The goal is to get as much exposure as possible. If we don't have more than 2000 downloads when we're finished than we totally failed. Let's set our aim high and compete for 10,000 downloads.

Sound fun? Let me know if you're interested here or via a PM.