Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MMORPG in Slick
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:28 am 

Firstly: I know that this is shooting for the stars and I'm well aware that it's likely that this will fail, but I just want to give it a shot anyway. I've made enough small games in Slick and I feel the need to do something big!

Anyways... I've already got a couple of people on board for this, and I'm going to give it my all to get it completed and succeed.

Project Details

Game Name: Days of Destiny

Concept: A 2D MMORPG. The outer world (eg. travelling, chatting, etc) will be a bit like the world in Pokemon (tiles, 1 step per tile, yada yada ya) while things like combat will be more arcade-themed (fast paced, skill-dependent combat - although weapons/armour will obviously still play a part. maybe a bit like Street Fighter or Super Smash Bros Brawl?)

Setting: In a post-apocalyptic world, but with super-advanced technology instead of being blasted back into the stone age by the apocalypse, so kind of like a super-modern setting? (and as for how there's technology after an apocalypse: maybe some awesome techno-center was saved from the blast or something like that?)

Storyline: Haven't started thinking about this yet. But I'm sure it won't be too hard to come up with something awesome.

Programming Language: Java (duh!)

Dependencies:
Client-side: Slick/LWJGL (duh!), TWL for GUI, TilED for world
Server-side: MySQL for database storage
Networking: Not sure yet, possibly Apache MINA or just java NIO's Sockets

So... basically I'm here to ask if any of you are interested in joining this project?

Requirements:

Programming Skill: Most people here are great with Slick/LWJGL/Java in general anyway, so yeah. Basically, good Java knowledge/experience, and preferably a moderate amount of experience with Slick, although not necessary, since Slick is a pretty easy to learn library.

Time Requirements: If you're interested, please only ask to join if you have at least an average of 30 minutes a day to work on this; preferably, 1 hour a day free. I'm going to fork out at least 1-2 hours a day myself.

On a side note, I'm also looking for GUI/graphic designers, please drop me a note as well, if you're one and interested.

If you're interested and have questions, or wish to join this project, please reply to this thread, send me a PM or send an email to xquasar_@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Mic :)

Post subject: Re: MMORPG in Slick
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 am 
Game Developer

xQuasar wrote:

IMO currently the best networking java games library is KyroNet.

http://code.google.com/p/kryonet/

It has a super clean api (just like slick) and its well documented. Its actively maintained plus you can get help if needed on the KryoNet forums and the author sometimes visits these forms :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:04 am 

Whoa, I thought it died D:

So it's alive and kicking!? Cool, I'll probably use it then.

Post subject: Re: MMORPG in Slick
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 pm 

xQuasar wrote:
Server-side: MySQL for database storage

Have you ever heard about the Arianne / Marauroa projects on sourceforge ?