Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Kev, do you think I need explain it in more details?

It'd be nice to see an overview of what the game is, where it's set, what the feel of thing is meant to be.

What is the player objective? How is it fun? What are the areas of work and who's doing them? When can we expect to see something (story, prototype, artwork, concepts, first release etc)?

I'm just interested to watch what happens.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 pm 
Game Developer

I agree :) You need a better idea what the game is supposed to be, not just "RPG, doors, etc.".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:09 pm 

kevglass, it all is inside topic :) But I agree that better to place it in one place. Is it possible to add to first post?
Owerview:
2d platformer (jumping from platform to platform, like in mario). Shooting to enemies. Player start somwhere at level. His task is to defend some object near respawn from enemies. Enemies appear oudside visible area of level, and try to get to protected object. If they get, player loose. After each level player get a reward: better weapon/new skill/improved skill/etc. Also enemies will be stronger each level.
It will use cyberpunk setting (implants, computers, etc). Game will be very close to crimsonland gameplay (action, survival, mooving all over the level).

I can't now specify areas of work, but we do something:
orelero going to show us some networking example at the end of week.
irongiant adding some components to sui (I have no idea will we use them or not :).
i'm writing documentation and disigning game arhitecture.
some other persons provide useful links and ask questions that guide us :)

After we approve game arhitecture, we will start coding. When 1st palyable version appear we will call artists. Actually I have no idea how it take, but probably 1st release will be somwhere in september.
From my point of view most important thing is something playable. May be editor is the biggest part, but not the critical.
Also I prefer to separate "physics" from i/o. I mean that there will be object Creature that have Sprite, but not Sprite that have coordinates and hitpoints.

I stronly disagree that we shold use another forum. If we use it, we will chat and discuss a lot, but not do. So it will lead to project death. Even if it take 100 pages here, it will be better than separate topic for each idea.
To post things (like documentation, images) better use wiki. So everyone could add and modify it. For source exchanging we need an SVN (not right now, but in nearest future). Also we need some kind of bugtracker (very useful for setting and resolving tasks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:21 pm 
Oldbie

Ok, in fact, the extra forum is useful for making everything clear.
So I add details you just give to us in it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:45 pm 

Game loop? orelero, I definitly need your help)

As I understand client and server game loop (for game session) will be smthing like follows:
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9773 ... verjj6.gif

?? - means that here we change a bit current object positions and events depending of data received from network (data from server have priority to data on client). After changes done, each side process own collision detection.
So to throw network away we can just set ?? to do nothing. That the idea. Is i'm on a right way?[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:21 am 
Oldbie

on server side, this this how things are processed:
Quote:
//*************PROCESSING***************

//INTERNAL MESSAGES

//INCOMING MESSAGES

//MESSAGE PROCESSING

//WORLD UPDATING

//OUTGOING MESSAGES GROUPING + BROADCAST

//***********END-PROCESSING*************

I still have done nothing about the client side but I think it will look like almost the same:
Quote:
//START LOOP

//INTERNAL MESSAGES

//INCOMING MESSAGES

//MESSAGE PROCESSING (=WORLD UPDATING HERE)

//WORLD RENDERING

//OUTGOING MESSAGES

//END LOOP

So you can keep only WORLD RENDERING and tranform MESSAGE PROCESSING into EVENT PROCESSING (mouse and keyboard events).

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:11 am 
Site Admin

I can create you a simple subforum here if you like - if that makes things any easier?

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:54 am 
Oldbie

Yes thanks Kev, that would be nice !
Something like "Team projects" forum :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:09 pm 
Regular

That's it: a subforum! Well thought Kev; GTGE uses that system too, and it's very helpfull for this kind of things.
Until the subforum is created I'll post here instead of the dedicated forum.

I'll be making some components for SUI which will, probably, be needed for the editor. Anyway, I think I'm making the GUI of the game or am I not?

Kev, you're right when you say we should do some initial sketches, but since the idea wasn't well defined, I thought if people would begin to work, ideas would automatically pop up. It seems that's what is happening...

I have to correct some bugs of the components, then I'll make a simple but (hopefully) functional GUI. By the time, I hope to have some more defined feelings about the look of the GUI and, so, I'll make a palette and try several shemes. Then, we'll decide what's best.
SUI themes and L&Fs aren't very flexible at the moment; davedes should create a better AND pluggable mechanism to customize the visual aspect of components. While this isn't important in regular applications, the look of components is very important in games. I'll see what I can do as a work around.

I'm finishing my exams, so I hope to have more avaliable time since tomorrow or the weekend, at max. Ah, and permanent internet connection, so I can be in touch more often :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:23 pm 
Oldbie

I'll really need new components like List, Checkbox and ProgressBar.
Not right now but I think it's a priority :wink:

Quote:
davedes should create a better AND pluggable mechanism to customize the visual aspect of components

Look at his SUI thread :P . He was about to release a new version of SUI. Unfortunately he got exams then went on vacation :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:05 pm 
Oldbie

Hey Meraxupypr, how do you plan to animate characters ?

If you think about using prerendered sprites, I wonder what would be the way we could render it aiming at any direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:29 pm 
Regular

If I understood well, the character will composed of several body part with articulations. If that's the case then there's is no problem.

Take a look at http://www.miniclip.com/games/heli-attack-3/en/ to see what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:13 pm 
Oldbie

Hey thanks Irongiant ! This exactly the result we should have. Well done (very nice looking game by the way).
I also had that idea: working with articulations has more advantages I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:41 pm 

orelero,
Ok thats clear about client/server. So I'll wait whan you present objects structure.

What "articulations" means? Is it "weapon+hand direction" ?If yes, then have you read things that I write? Because I don't want to do "other" game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:22 pm 
Oldbie

When you say:
Quote:
What "articulations" means? Is it "weapon+hand direction" ?If yes, then have you read things that I write? Because I don't want to do "other" game.

You refer to that ?:
Quote:
Also I prefer to separate "physics" from i/o. I mean that there will be object Creature that have Sprite, but not Sprite that have coordinates and hitpoints.

Not sure I understand.

About networking I said in a previous post :
Quote:
The simple networking library I'm working on will be available in the end of this week

So that's only the library (I will give the javadoc+lib out on Sunday if no problem). I will build the server over it. This last task will take an extra week I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next