Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:38 am 
Hi everyone,

As you might know, I've been involved with Slick2D for quite some time now. I've been part of Slick development, JBox2D and multiple other things. One of my projects was Lessur, which was an idea for a topdown shooter. I never finished it, but I did learn some valuable lessons, which I thought I should share with you.

The first lesson is, Java is bulky. Compared to that of Python or (my favorite) Go, Java has alot of coding overhead. However, it is also has many associated libraries, which make it useful. I'm not advising against using Slick, but take it into consideration when you're planning. If you take my advice, but still want to stay with Slick, maybe use Jython, IDK.

The second lesson is, rapidly prototype.

The third lesson, use libraries. I do not know how much time I wasted coding an entity framework, when I could've just used MarteEngine or Artemis. Likewise, I saved much time using JBox2D, instead of coding my own Phsyics engine.

Fourthly, the gamedev subreddit is worth a look at. It's a good source of inspiration.

That's really all of my advice that I can give. I have quite a lot of code which may interest some people, including:

- Smooth lighting
- Tile based lighting
- Reliable UDP Server stuff

If anyone wants, I can upload it to Github under a BSD-like license.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:06 pm 
Slick Zombie

About language: have you tried Groovy? Seems promising for a lot of stuff :D

From my point of view any github contribution seems a good stuff and, like you wrote, get a working game, building another framework is a pain :(