Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:09 pm 

Hello,
i am going to make a simple beat em up game, based on all the King of Fighter Sprite sheets out there, since i wanted this to do for years!
A big problem doing this is sprite alignment. You know, there are spritesheets, but how the f** are you supposed to align them correct in your animations. so my solution is i work with SpriteVortex (or SpriteBuddy) to make my animations out of the spritesheets and export the info into xml. The Sprites will be painted centered (so they can be mirrored when facing the other direction), and the exported xml provides me with the info of the position and length and width of the rect of the sprite in the spritesheet AND the offset from the center (due to the corection of the animation in spritevortex) to have a smooth animation. So i will read this xml and cut my sprites together with this info. i have to do some modifications on the marteengine for the painting of the offset in centered mode. i hope it works how i figured it out ... i'll keep you posted :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:40 pm 

Sounds Pretty interesting I hope you get it to work :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:59 am 

Hi all!
I got it to work: I wrote an SpriteBuddy XML Importer and load the Animation out of SpriteBuddy into my game and paint the Images with the needed offset for smooth animation. This is a really cool workflow, as you can define really complex animation patterns and the duration on single images and have your preview on it, and simply import this into game. (Another thing is that you can use non tiled spritesheets but every possible spritesheet you want, as you define the animation in spritebuddy :) )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 am 
Slick Zombie

can you opensource this spritebuddy parser? (github, googlecode or so on ?)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 am 

Yes please I'd like this a lot, as I used an example of how to do this in C#/XNA but now would like to port my simple game to Android

I would very much appreciate the class you used as well as the version of Sprite Vortex you used, as the version I am working with sucks and is buggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:33 pm 

i know, its a year now passing by. but do you have any results or demos of your project?

i have made some experiments with some state machines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4HSOuqYAAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdrsHbQ448g

you need more than just the position of the sprites and there animation, to render or mirror it. you also need hitbox and "harmbox" as i call it, to indicate whether you hit somebody or not.

greetz ben

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:05 am 

Nice post!