Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:19 am 

Hi Everyone!
I have an AWESOME game idea and a great artist and together we are making a game, I do have a Java dev now but am looking for another one as he doesn't know Slick at all. If you know how to use Slick and would be willing to make an RPG styled, 2D, Dungeon-Crawl themed game, PLEASE contact me ASAP via PM. Also, from the start the game will be free, we then will probably make it abount $5.00 USD, so from the start there will be no pay, if we decide not to make it paid, then you will essentially be working for free...but that shouldn't be a problem since its the enjoyment that counts...

Game Idea: 2D, side-scrolling game, called Diamond, you start in a house, get FORCED into a dungeon by a evil being...there are multiple 'levels' so there would be level1 then boss 1, maybe a total of 4 levels. At the end you get you Diamond which is vital for humanity, if there will be multiple patches, then each patch would have a new 'level'.

Thanks,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:53 am 
Game Developer

Sorry to disappoint you a bit but what is so AWESOME about your game?
Sounds to me like the typical sidescroller that you can download for free at every corner...

You could just use my "Back to the past" or StarCleaner source code and voila - you've got your side scrolling game for free. Just modify it a bit and add your graphics and your own bells and whistles :roll:

4 levels? Every dungeon crawler/roguelike comes with around 20 to endless number of levels. Side scrollers also tend to have more than just 4 levels...

First free then 5$? What is the difference between the two versions? Why should I pay when you first give it away for free?

How do you plan to sell the game? Portals? Own page? How to get traffic and sales?

What about other stuff? Online high scores, achievements, multiplayer? Download version or online (Applet)? Android version? What about sfx and music? Do you have a musician too?

Can we see some of the graphics of the great artist? Add watermarks if you want.

Currently it sounds more like a 48 hour competition entry than a game that could sell.

I know it sounds harsh but it needs more than an AWESOME idea to convince a developer (or at least me :wink:) to jump the boat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:22 am 

Tommy wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you a bit but what is so AWESOME about your game?
Sounds to me like the typical sidescroller that you can download for free at every corner...

You could just use my "Back to the past" or StarCleaner source code and voila - you've got your side scrolling game for free. Just modify it a bit and add your graphics and your own bells and whistles :roll:

4 levels? Every dungeon crawler/roguelike comes with around 20 to endless number of levels. Side scrollers also tend to have more than just 4 levels...

First free then 5$? What is the difference between the two versions? Why should I pay when you first give it away for free?

How do you plan to sell the game? Portals? Own page? How to get traffic and sales?

What about other stuff? Online high scores, achievements, multiplayer? Download version or online (Applet)? Android version? What about sfx and music? Do you have a musician too?

Can we see some of the graphics of the great artist? Add watermarks if you want.

Currently it sounds more like a 48 hour competition entry than a game that could sell.

I know it sounds harsh but it needs more than an AWESOME idea to convince a developer (or at least me :wink:) to jump the boat...

Its not really a dissapointment to me as much as I may have caused some inconvenience for you. My apologies. To answer your questions:

The AWESOME part to me, and it might not be awesome to you, is having upgradeable weapons and to discover them hidden throughout the dungeons. I said 4 levels in the first episode, sorry if it wasn't clear, I might even make it something near 20 then do a bug fix update then add another 20, etc.. I would get our own website or can even host it in my home since I have done web hosting here before, I have one of my friends making a Java game website like Miniclip but ONLY for java games and he said Diamond, our game, could be on there. And by portals, if you mean something like Steam or something in that manner, I contacted Steam but they have not yet replied.

About your 'other' stuff, well to have a highscore system, you need a point system, the only highscores I can think of for this game would be the time you have completed each dungeon in, or without dying, etc... For the multiplayer it would be a bit more complex but could be in a major patch such as 2.0 or since the game will start out in alpha, then beta, and when it hits the full 1.0, then it would have multiplayer integrated.

I have a very good installer for Windows users which installs the game with all necessarey libraries and images, but for Linux and Mac OS users I was thinking to either use a JNLP type of thing or the other day I found getdownhttp://code.google.com/p/getdown/. For music and SFX, I am just about to contact a musician about him possible working for us, otherwise my artist claims he can do SFX, lets see if that's true, and if he cant I'll get another musician.

As I said, I am not sure if the game will ever be on sale for $5.00USD, it was an idea... It will probably stay free for the community to play and have fun.

Attached is a sample image of a very basic tileset I asked my artist to make. Here is the TwitPic URL:http://twitpic.com/6k9rjb

In conclusion, why not help out your community and have fun!

Again sorry if I cause any innconvience about my game to you. If you are interested just PM me or continue on this thread if you want and I will give you means of contacting me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:40 pm 
Regular

You should watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P57QZ9tuA2U

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:38 pm 
Game Developer

Soooooo true :/ I often met dudes you don't get that playing games doesn't mean your good in making games D:

Projects:
RadicalFish Engine - Build on top of Slick2D, Ideas, Bugs? Open an Issue ticket!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:20 pm 

Well then according to the most recent 2 posts before this one, I guess neither of you want to help. Therefore, I am still looking for a Java developer who knows Slick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:38 pm 
Slick Zombie

Sorry to be harsh, but you need to get a better artist. That tileset is terrible.

I suggest the following:

- Write out a design document. Be as detailed as possible.
- Buy a web domain and web host that can handle a game of this magnitude.
- Hire a professional or semi-professional game artist.
- Hire a professional or semi-professional web master.
- Hire a professional or semi-professional web designer.
- Hire a professional or semi-professional sound effects editor.
- Hire a professional or semi-professional musician.

Once you have all that done, shoot me a PM. If you pay me, I'll consider being your programmer.

Want a cheaper alternative? Learn to do this stuff yourself, and make your own game instead of asking others to make it for you for free. ;) It's very easy to pick up a book and start programming.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:32 am 

I think the tileset's fine for a simple free game.

I don't think you "need" pros either, treat it as a learning experience if that's what your experience level is. In a not-for-profit effort hiring isn't likely to happen, or needed. Of course, the chances of success and actually finishing are very low too. :) But if you like what you're doing, worst thing that can happen is that it'll be a learning experience.

A design document is a must though.