Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Iso Tileset idea.
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:57 pm 

So, after posting in the Tiled section yesterday on This Thread (Changing Perspective), I got a bit curious as to what it'd be like to make some tiles and draw a little map on it. So, i spent some time getting a few "blocks" drawn up, and drew a little map.

It's not exactly very pretty due to the style I went with (just did it to add a bit of depth to it.. otherwise it'd be boring :P ). But it gave me an idea.. To make an Isometric Tileset and release it under GPL or something similar. Thing is, it's only worth doing if there's going to be any interest in it.

So, what do you guys think? Will there be interest in it? If so, should I keep the style? What about actual tile sizes? At the moment, each tile is 25 width, 48 height. Each completed block is 48 width, 50 height. I'm not sure if you can do it using power of 2 sizes.. something like 24 * 48 or 32 * 64, should work I guess. In fact, having each tile 32 * 32 should make it a little easy to work with i'd imagine...

So yeh, what's your thoughts? ^_^

Post subject: Re: Iso Tileset idea.
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:36 am 

Really? 28 views and not a single response? even a "don't bother" would have been something.. eh, nevermind.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:41 pm 

I like the look of it. Quite simple and fun :D

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:32 pm 
Slick Zombie

Lookin' good. I'm sure plenty of devs would appreciate free graphics.

You should look into Creative Commons, which can be a bit more flexible than GPL and is also more geared towards artistic content. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 pm 
Oldbie

What davedes said is right, I'm sure others would appreciate an isometric tileset. Even if people don't use them directly, tilesets can be good for templates, ideas, and markups. and besides, not many people make isometric tilesets.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:23 am 

I also agree with what everyone else has said beforehand. I would probably use the tileset when I get into isometric games.

Assuming you keep the style of the tileset pretty simple, I would suggest making multiple sizes of tilesets. When I typically try to find tilesets, I have a hard time finding the sizes I want to work with. (ie. I have a tileset x I want to use, but I also need another tileset to complement the images tileset x doesn't have. However, tileset x is in 50 px by 50 px and all the timesets I can find are only in 64 px by 64 px)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 am 

Ok, it seems i was a bit too hasty in my mini-rage (was having a bad day lol.. ). Thanks for the suggestion davedes, i'll look into creative commons.

dpek, that's not a bad idea.. i'm guessing common sizes would be best, such as 8*16, 16*32, 32*64 and 64*128. The thing about sizes such as 50px, is that it becomes awkward to work with in ISO tiles, due to the nature of the perspective.

In terms of the actual tileset itself, doing grass/dirt/water/sand are a given..but what about objects such as trees, buildings, rocks and so on? If i keep the floor tiles simple, doing simple looking objects to fit in with the floor tiles might be quite challenging.. I guess i'll just have to see.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:50 pm 

AtomizerZero wrote:
In terms of the actual tileset itself, doing grass/dirt/water/sand are a given..but what about objects such as trees, buildings, rocks and so on? If i keep the floor tiles simple, doing simple looking objects to fit in with the floor tiles might be quite challenging.. I guess i'll just have to see.
This is often the reason why I end up mixing and matching tilesets. I might find a tileset for the terrain I want for the game, but it's been themed for being a forest and there's no fort tileset that I need. No tileset ever has everything that I (or for anyone else, I think) need to make the game I'm thinking of. I tend to use premade tilesets as placeholder images though, so I often don't sweat about how well they combine with the other tilesets.

Also, yeah, going with popular tileset sizes would be good so it would be easier to combine them with others. However, I don't know what those sizes would be... I think looking at sites like opengameart.org and other popular tilesets like the ones from lostgarden.com would be a good starting point, though.