Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:36 pm 

The battle system will be tactical, such as that featured in the Shining Force series and Gemfire. If you are unaware of those games, think of Ogre Battle or FF Tactics.

When I saw this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtjKR6pCrBw, Slick2d jumped out at me as the candidate of choice for developing this game. I was originally going to use RMVX but, from what I understand, there is no implementation for online capabilities.

I am an adept Java programmer as well, so this lent to my decision to choose Slick2d.

I want to know what the community thinks I will run into, any major issues you can foresee?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:01 am 

Well any game takes time. But an online game takes an unforeseeable amount of time to make playable. I have been working on my MORPG for 3 months now and I'm only half way done.

And once you do finish that game you really are not done. Especially since it's an online game player will be expecting frequent updates. Split up the work between people. Like I did a avid pokemon fan found out about my game and joined me as a spriter. He has helped me so much with textures and such while I worked on the game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 am 
Regular

Just do not underestimate the time that will be needed to create this game.

The game I help developing (http://slick.javaunlimited.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4294) is developed since 13 years. It took about one year and 4 persons to get the basics working (client, server, basic homepage, player management, some graphics). Another two years until the game was playable. Since then its played by a small community and we keep developing it.

All I can say: If you want to create such a project you should try to get some people who share in your idea and are willing to support you. If you work on it all alone you will run into motivation problems, as there will be very little progress visible.

Nitram

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:15 pm 
Regular

I have been working on my own M(mini)MORPG (or ORPG) on and off for about a year now, though in truth it's the last 6 months where I have written most of the code. The only thing I would say to someone else looking to take on a project like this is do not underestimate the amount of work involved.

I would tell you to stay away and work on some smaller projects first but that would make me a hypocrite as I dived straight in, though I have been a Java Developer by trade for a number of years now so I guess I have experience on my side.

As a heads up, you will run into issues with threading when trying to instantiate entities coming in through your connection thread client side, I heavily suggest using TWL as a backbone as methods such as GUI.invokeLater() give you instant access to the Slick processing thread and TWL's input handling is excellent.

If you fancy checking out my project to see how far I am, the link is in my sig.

Best of luck :)
Liam