Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 pm 

Hello community!

I am planning on starting my very first project with Slick2D.
For now I did not really program any games with GUI.
In school I programmed a text-based rpg though :P

After playing around with Slick for a bit and getting to know it,
I feel confident enough to start my first project.

So here's the very little concept:

I want to start a rogue-like game with simple pixel-graphics (as I actually suck at graphics).
My favorite MMORPG was (and probably will always be: Ragnarok Online), therefore I thought of taking the simple Rogue-system and extending it, but not just a little.
In Ragnarok you got Jobs, Skills, ... the usual things one would expect in a MMORPG.

I want to implement this into the Roguelike game.

-A "story" you will be playing and thus will be moving from map to map, from dungeon to dungeon and from town to town.
-Towns, where you will be able to save your game, buy/sell items and probably be able to change your job (if the requirements are fullfilled).
-Then you have to go to the dungeons (actually, like I said, it doesn't actually have to be a dungeon, but lets just call it a dungeon for now),
in which you have to kill enemies, collect valueables and proceed further into the dungeon.
At the end there is going to be something you need to collect/kill/whatever.

-In the Town you don't actually walk around, but rather got a screen where you can select options (like buy/sell/etc.), to keep it simple
-In the dungeons you will walk and fight - turn based. Every time you do an action (attack, move, use a potion) all the enemies on the same floor of the dungeon are also able to do something, like walk towards you, if you are in sight, or attack you, if you are in range.

As expected from any RPG, there will also be a level system.

Well... that are my few ideas for now.
Please comment about what you like or dislike.

~DarXun

EDIT:
btw... the most creative name came to my mind - Ragnarogue :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:22 pm 

I've played Ragnarok Online, too. It was most fun in "early times" (aka "closed Beta1"), when only 5 jobs existed.

If you up for suggestions, i only have one:
You really want to get the basic engine running first, without working on details, yet. That is the best way, to keep you motivated, to keep on working on it.
Otherwise, there is a huge chance, you will loose interest in the development, after you invested a lot of time in it, without seeing any results.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:41 am 

Hey there.

Thanks for the advice.
I will surely do so! I'm not quite sure if I will be running into any motivational problems soon, as I always enjoy programming basic engines, where you really do not see any results. Programming for a day or even a week without really running the code has never been a problem for me. And it also shouldn't be a problem, if the project is planned properly.

I am also already planning the project into every detail (ordered a flipchart in order to illustrate some procedures) and such.

~DarXun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 am 
Slick Zombie

my adivise is similar: start small, then grow. Make prototypes of ideas. Big plans fails and you can't plan anything.
Follow this tutorial http://trystans.blogspot.it/search/labe ... 20tutorial it's made really good, abstract from graphics and make you think about how to code a RL. I've made a graphical version of it here (http://randomtower.blogspot.it/search/l ... 20tutorial ) but don't start from mine, first read trystan one!

Good luck, you need it ! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 pm 

I actually want to code this on my own and rather not read or work myself through any tutorials.
I think I will look in the first chapter for some basic input and things I should not forget about, but then start off on my own, as I believe that following a tutorial doesn't really give me the chance to develop a system on my own.

If I now read the tutorial, but do not follow it, I will still be influenced by it, and thus will not code as I would probably do or make the mistake I would do.

But as I said. I will read like the first chapter but won't be followin the coding instructions. Thanks for the help, though!

~DarXun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:06 pm 
Slick Zombie

you are welcome!
I like tryant approach. He ask themself why he should design a class in such way and how this influence work later