Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zombie Survival RPG
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 am 

Hello all,

I recently finished my first Java game, and now I'm beginning work on a new one. My idea is for a zombie survival RPG. The basic premise is that the player will be dropped into a world infested by zombies. The player can build, and upgrade fortifications to live in, and must collect weapons, and ammunition to survive. The fortifications will be able to keep the zombies out, but they can damage the structure. Right now, I've came up with a list of things that I want to implement. Here is some of the list:
    -random zombie spawning
    -inventory
    -the upgrades for fortifications
    -random items for health, weapons, and ammo in the map
    -currency system
    -leveling system
    -possibility of a level editor
    -maybe some sort of horde mode where you start with lots of money, weapons, and ammo
    -co-op/multiplayer(if i can learn networking)

This is just a basic list of ideas, but one thing I'm debating how to do is the shooting. I was originally thinking just directional shooting, that is where you just shoot in the direction your facing(left,up,down,or right), but I was also considering point and shoot with the mouse. The reason I prefer the further is because it is not as easy for the player, in that he has to actually move to shoot, you can't just shoot in all directions, or behind you. What's your opinions on this?

The other thing I was debating is whether or not to make the game set in levels, or as one big game. By this I mean if the game should consist of x amount of levels, where you have to kill x amount of zombies to move to the next level, or if I should just keep it one world where I keep adding zombies kind of like Minecraft. Again, what's your take on the situation?

If there is anything else you think would be neat to add, let me know.

Thanks for any ideas/criticism. :D

Post subject: Re: Zombie Survival RPG
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:17 pm 

In which perspective should the game be? Top-view?
Directional shooting is a bad idea. With it your level design should be very linear, because you you need space between you and your target (no aiming), like in a maze but this is not what you want I guess (fortifications). I think directional shooting is not that hard to implement, so give it a try.

Post subject: Re: Zombie Survival RPG
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:02 pm 

Yeah, the game is going to be top-down, and I decided on aim-shooting as well. I've been working on that for a bit now.

Anyways, thanks for the input.