Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PNGDecoder problems...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:09 pm 

Hello.
I just started using the excellent PNGDecoder and was extremely satisfied with both its performance and memory usage! I have a few problems with it though...

I also have images which I only want the red channel of the PNG texture. There's no Format for that so I'm currently being forced to store it as RGB and let OpenGL only store the R component, which is really inefficient...

IGNORE THE FOLLOWING, was my fault...
I'm having trouble reading from a special file format I've designed which contain multiple PNG images written to a single file using ImageIO.write. Reading one of them worked fine with ImageIO.load(FileInputStream) but PNGDecoder simply gives me a java.io.IOException: Not a valid PNG file when I create the PNGDecoder from my input stream (set to the correct location of course). It does however work when reading the last image in the file. Could it be that because the stream doesn't end after the image it reads too far and crashes?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:35 pm 
Slick Zombie

The PNGDecoder was not designed to manipulate the data while decoding. There is only support for swapping R and B, and adding or removing alpha.

As for reading several PNG files - the decoder does not read the IEND tag (or any other data) after the last IDAT (there can be several IDAT chunks per image). So I assume that reading a single PNG out of the stream should work just fine when you position the stream correctly before reading.
If you would include the full stack trace of the exception it might help - otherwise I have to guess and say you didn't position your input stream right or the data is corrupted.
As InputStream doesn't support seeking you would need to write a custom InputStream which reads a specified region of a RandomAccessFile.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:13 pm 

The error when reading a file containing multiple images was my fault. For some reason ImageIO was okay with skipping the first 4 bytes without an error, while PNGDecoder was not. Fixed that and it worked out fine.

I don't want to manipulate the data in any way, I just want to only extract the red channel, not all channels.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:20 am 
Slick Zombie

Why not save it as a grey scale PNG?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:38 pm 

Hmm, I will try that. Thanks for your fast responses!