http://meatfighter.com/jackal/

Post subject: Re: Jackal
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 pm 
Slick Zombie

why this controls ?
I mean.. let me control where shoot, no ? :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:07 pm 

Hello zeroone, awesome game :D~ I really enjoyed your Commando-remake. - I especially like the style of the game, and the soundtrack fits perfectly.... also that you can save soldiers from barracks, after you blow up the buildings with grenades :twisted:

Be aware, that X and Z are only next to each other on US-keyboards (and some other). On other keyboards (like mine) they are like on the other side of the keyboard, which makes this game a bit less enjoyable. You might rather want to use X and C, or C and V. But luckily, i just noticed you can change this in the options.

The major issue for me was, your "lazy" scrolling is really cool, how it is a bit too lazy. If you go back and forward, you only scroll, if you get to a certain distance to the border. However, the threshold for scrolling, when moving ahead is really low. Most of the times, i died, i felt "treated unfair" by the game, since i died to villains still outside of my screen and the game was not scrolling yet. It would be nice, if the game would scroll a bit sooner. (Or maybe use lazy scrolling only, when moving backwards?)

That aside, its a really nice game. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:52 am 
Regular

Thanks for playing guys.

Gornova81 wrote:
why this controls ?
I mean.. let me control where shoot, no ? :(

This is a remake of the NES version of Jackal. Although the grenades and missiles fire in the direction that the player faces, the original game designers made the machine gun shoot north exclusively. This may seem like a restriction, but it provides a tactical advantage by enabling you to fire at enemies while retreating south from them.

joki wrote:
Hello zeroone, awesome game :D~ I really enjoyed your Commando-remake. - I especially like the style of the game, and the soundtrack fits perfectly.... also that you can save soldiers from barracks, after you blow up the buildings with grenades :twisted:

Be aware, that X and Z are only next to each other on US-keyboards (and some other). On other keyboards (like mine) they are like on the other side of the keyboard, which makes this game a bit less enjoyable. You might rather want to use X and C, or C and V. But luckily, i just noticed you can change this in the options.

The major issue for me was, your "lazy" scrolling is really cool, how it is a bit too lazy. If you go back and forward, you only scroll, if you get to a certain distance to the border. However, the threshold for scrolling, when moving ahead is really low. Most of the times, i died, i felt "treated unfair" by the game, since i died to villains still outside of my screen and the game was not scrolling yet. It would be nice, if the game would scroll a bit sooner. (Or maybe use lazy scrolling only, when moving backwards?)

That aside, its a really nice game. :wink:

Jackal was actually released a year after Commando and clearly Commando influenced its design. Interestingly, in Commando, your machine gun fired in any direction while your grenade could only be thrown north.

The primary goal of each level is to simply survive, but as you noted, there is a secondary goal of rescuing the POWs. This earns you a lot of points and those points accumulate and translate into extra lives and power ups.

It's always difficult to choose the default keys, but as you discovered, you can change the key mapping from the options menu. You can also configure your gamepad there. Nevertheless, I'll study various keyboards and listen to other feedback and make a decision.

What you call "lazy scrolling", I termed the "horizon problem". I noticed this since I was playing the game on my NES back in the 80's and I accurately reproduced the problem in my remake. It forces you to slowly advance through the map. It is such an embedded aspect of the game that I refused to abandon it. And, it's also tied to various strategies in the game.

One more thing, you can run over enemy soldiers! The squish sound is classic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:35 pm 

reminds me of my old games *-*

What is the name of the font you're using?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:06 pm 
Regular

brenoinojosa wrote:
reminds me of my old games *-*

What is the name of the font you're using?

Well, it's a remake of an NES game.

I used this for the font:

http://www.fontspace.com/genshichi-yasui/atari-font

By the way, if anyone has a gamepad, could you please test my game with it? See Options | Input to configure the buttons. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:51 pm 
Oldbie

I like it. I would like the view to move sooner (often I find myself shot by enemies just off the screen still), but the gameplay, graphics, and sounds are really cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:14 pm 
Regular

Mr. Kenkron wrote:
I like it. I would like the view to move sooner (often I find myself shot by enemies just off the screen still), but the gameplay, graphics, and sounds are really cool.

I remeasured the margins in the original game and you guys are correct, I was a bit off. I posted a new version where the camera advances quicker as you push ahead.