Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BM Elite Force 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:09 am 

This is the second game in the BM Elite Force series (not much related to each other). BM Elite Force 2 has been my autumn/winter project of 2012. I started this "tradition" in 2011 where I create a new game in a new (for me) language every year and release it around christmas dedicated to my good old friends when we meet up. This year I coded it in Scala and used Slick :)

Video: http://vimeo.com/antonfagerberg/bm-elite-force-2
Source: https://github.com/AntonFagerberg/BM-Elite-Force-II
Downloads: http://code.google.com/p/bm-elite-force ... loads/list

This game is meant to be played with and __Xbox 360 controller__. You really should use one to enjoy this game (analog precision makes all the difference) and it has the correct color coding. There is however keyboard bindings avaliable if you just want to try it out.

Xbox 360 controls:
* Steering: Left stick
* Change color: Colored buttons A, B, X, Y or Right stick
* Shoot: Right trigger
* Toggle health: Press left stick

Keyboard:
* Steering: Arrow keys
* Change color: W, A, S, D
* Shoot: Space or Left Shift
* Toggle health: Right Shift

One of my friends had a problem starting it on Windows 8 and the fullscreen and sound didn't work for another friend with Ubuntu 12.10. Beside that, it seems to be working.

Post subject: Re: BM Elite Force 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:16 am 
Slick Zombie

nice shooter, I'm not sure about mechanics: I must use controls to change my ship color and destroy enemies according to color, right?

btw: nice work, first version in ruby and this in scala + slick!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:54 am 

Gornova81 wrote:
nice shooter, I'm not sure about mechanics: I must use controls to change my ship color and destroy enemies according to color, right?

btw: nice work, first version in ruby and this in scala + slick!

Not really, I was influenced by Ikaruga (but this is much simpler but with 4 colors instead of 2) so the thing is that when you change the ship color to say green, then green bullets can't hurt you. The enemies take damage from every color except the last boss which works more like the player (and white will kill you every time since is's all colors in one). Some enemies (most of those who make lines, who are golden) can't be destroyed so there you have to survive by changing colors and finding the "correct" pattern. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:35 am 

Awesome soundtrack... very nice game too =D
Made me watch the video many times lol

edit: What made you choose Scala?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 pm 

brenoinojosa wrote:
Awesome soundtrack... very nice game too =D
Made me watch the video many times lol

edit: What made you choose Scala?

Well, I started looking at Play! (a web framework) which support both Java and Scala early in 2012 and tried it out. They released their 2.0 version in march of 2012 year which promoted Scala (they rewrote the core in Scala) so I tried it out and started working with it and the more I used it the more I liked it.

Since I used Ruby last year I thought that I would either used Python with PyGame or something running on the JVM (I looked at C / C++ frameworks and tried some of them out but I had no motivation to expand C knowledge). So why I picked Scala for this game is mainly because I felt that Java was a bit clunky after learning Scala but I still wanted to try out Slick so I just rolled with it and thought it would be a good learning experience to see how Scala worked with Java libraries (and it worked really well!).