Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Elemental
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 pm 

This will have to do for the competition: Download Elemental

Note: Full screen seems to not function properly. So stay windowed.

Moving into a new appartment has put a dent in my development time. I've not been able to code for 2 weeks, but are forcing myself to post so I feel like something is progressing.
Using Artemis and a component library of my own design this is the concept:

You take on the part as "A Being of Pure Thought":

You are powered by the Essence of the Multiverse; Fire & Earth, Air & Water, and draw upon the elements to traverse the Void and Beyond:

By combining the Elements, you are capable of Great Wonders. Your adversaries will burn to a cinder:

Will be swarmed by the Spirits from the Void:

Or disintegrated completely:

In times of peril, you can heal your wounds:

Or unleash yet undiscovered powers...

Sooo... This will be a scaled down version of Magica in space. The gameplay will resolve around collecting Elments which can be combined to cast spells of various utility. Ideally, I will aim for some sort of World system, where the goal is to cast a certain spell so you can travel to another part of the Multiverse. To do this, you have to destroy incoming enemies and various obstacles/puzzles, thereby depleting your various elemental counts, removing you from the goal of casting the ultimate spell. So the focus will be on resource management & staying alive.

For this contest I will probably end up with some sort of survival mode, with increasingly powerful enemies closing in on you, as Worlds will relay on Content, something I will be hard pressed to create.

However, I would like to ask you guys for ideas on interesting spells. The format is simple: a specific series of elements produce a certain spell. The elements are Fire(F), Earth(E), Air(A) and Water(W). For example:

FF -> Fireball
WEWE -> Disintigrate Beam
AAA -> Haste
WWW -> Healing

Currently my controls are like so:
The being heads for the mouse pointer, you provide thrust by clicking the mouse button (can be held). Spells are combined by hitting qwer (fireWaterEarthAir), and Space unleashes the spell. So casting fireball would require the user to hit Q-Q-Space.

Hopefully this can trigger enough interest so I can get it out there for you guys to try. Right now I have so much to do, but so few hours =/

Last edited by Uberrated on Sun May 15, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:19 pm 

Any possibility make quick buttons for spells? Let say that you could bind QQ to 1. So it would be faster use critical spell but you still need to learn those spells first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:12 pm 

I want to force you to cast the spells yourself, to introduce a tiny amount of skill. Forcing the player to combine the elements puts the spellcasting speed solely in the hands of the player, as currently I have no plans of introducing cooldown. Of course, if it makes sense after a couple of playtests, I'll see what I can do. What I WILL need though, is a quick, yet non-obtrusive way for the player to check the spellbook on the fly.

Currently working on the user interface, and will post screenshots of it when its about done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:55 am 
Slick Zombie

cool idea, I like it, time is never enought, so don't give up and continue to working on this after compo ends!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:53 pm 

Hardly had time to work on this at all, but I've decided that my submission will have to be more of a teaser than a full-fledged game. One level, 8-10 spells, 2-3 enemy types.

Working on the GUI: shield/health meter, element meters, spell combo layout and weapon ammo. Aside from that I just have to churn out some content. Its all xml, so it should be managable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:42 pm 

Had to drop sound: There is full 3d-sound support, but I just remembered I lifted all the sound effects from Starcraft 2 oO!

The submission will have alot of placeholder pictures as well =/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:42 am 

This will have to do for the competition: Download Elemental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:55 am 

I tried to play your game (Windows 7) and it gives me this exception when starting the game with the .bat :

Code:
>java -cp .:lib/lwjgl.jar:libs/jogg-0.0.7.jar
:lib/jorbis-0.0.15.jarr:lib/elemental.jar: -Djava.library.path="lib/natives" tes
t.TestGame

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: test/TestGame
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: test.TestGame
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: test.TestGame.  Program will exit.

Something is wrong with your classpath. Ive tried modifying the classpath in the manifest of elemental.jar. The game launches then but gives me another exception about some missing resource.

and btw you use 'libs/jogg-0.0.7.jar'. But there isn't a 'libs' folder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:37 pm 

Looking into this, the .sh file works fine on my mac, but I dont have a pc to test the bat right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:39 pm 

Found the problem. The bat files used ":" instead of ";" as seperator. This is now fixed (same download link). You can skip the download and make the changes to .bat file instead as well.

Another thing: Seems fullscreen doesnt really work. So stay windowed.