Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:28 pm 

Hello everyone,

Let me start with some background to give my questions some context. I have created a game using slick. It's relatively simple game but its purpose was to learn slick and game development in general. I have then made a Mac native app and installer, Linux and windows archives with execution scripts(soon to have windows installer). My Next step is mobile platforms Android and iPhone. My original thought was that i would be able to use SlickAE with little fuss. However, it seems like there are a lot of issues working with images in libgdk. Example of issues are it can't use jpg(which I'm not currently using), png seem to have to be 32 bit(which only one of my images hit this problem), and you seem to get a white block instead of images

1: is there a better way to work with images to avoid these problems?
2: what determines the bit ration for png and how do identify it? All my pngs are created the same way so it weird that i had a random issue have this problem.

Im working with a artist who is providing really nice graphics and we are working great together so i want to continue working with him. He requires that we release games for iPhone(he's an iPhone owner). I don't really have any interest in learning Objective C. Nor do i want to program every game twice and maintain two code bases. So i have been looking into solutions for this problem. The best thing i have seen was XmlVM which is a cross compiler. you can google it for all the details but basically take your compiled java code and generates uncompiled ObjectiveC. Heres my questions in this area

1: how are you guys handling this both platforms? or are you?
2: i have also looked into PhoneGap which is all JavaScript but I'm not a fan of that idea.. what are your thought
3: suggestions? i have a mac so i have access to Xcode

I really need to get a handle on the "technology stack" that i will be using to accommodate all these platforms before get any further with another games. So thanks for helping my work this out!

Post subject: Not a good sign...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:48 pm 

It's never a good sign when you have 34 view and no replys...

:P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:42 pm 
Oldbie

Hi, and sorry for the very late reply. As far as I know, Slick-AE currently does not support iPhone. I did not know about xmlvm, but now that I see it, it looks totally sweet and awesome. I am also not thrilled by the idea of games in javascript either (though I admit it looks awesome for cross compiling non-game apps). Having a mac gets you over the hurl that has cept me away from developing for iphone: you must have a mac to distribute on the app store.