Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:54 am 
Game Developer

davedes idea is the more "useable" way imho. I would prefer such a way where I have a staic method to create an offscreen image so I can use this an replace the reference of the normal graphic context of slick (or ist this possible already? For post processing?).
I would suggest implementing it (you have access to teh repo or not?) and testing it. It adresses the problem and gives an easy way to work with offscreen images :)

Projects:
RadicalFish Engine - Build on top of Slick2D, Ideas, Bugs? Open an Issue ticket!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:16 pm 
Slick Zombie

I have no repo access. I'll write up a test case tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 am 
Game Developer

Mh then Kev should give you access! Or Tommy :D

Projects:
RadicalFish Engine - Build on top of Slick2D, Ideas, Bugs? Open an Issue ticket!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:47 pm 
Game Developer

R.D. wrote:
Mh then Kev should give you access! Or Tommy :D

Haha, I read that!

davedes, if you're interested in becoming a bitbucket dev member, I or Kev could do that :wink: Just tell me your bitbucket user name and I would gladly add you. Your support is way too awesome to get lost 8)

Cheers,
Tommy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 pm 
Slick Zombie

Registered at bitbucket -- username davedes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:40 pm 
Game Developer

davedes, you're now registered as a Slick developer on bitbucket - welcome on board! :D

Don't forget to use the development branch for changes - see the sticky topic in the development forum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
Oldbie

Welcome davedes!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:18 pm 
Slick Zombie

Made some changes to Image and textures in the dev branch:
Code:
- (width, height, filter) constructor now uses EmptyImageData to minimize clutter
- draw/drawSheared/drawEmbedded now all check for init() before rendering
- startUse/endUse now rely on Texture instead of Image (because multiple Images may share the same texture)
- setting a new texture with Image.setTexture reverts the 'destroyed' flag to false
    - perhaps a future update should fix this further by moving the isDestroyed stuff to Texture (i.e. if texID == 0, then it must be destroyed)
- added createOffscreenGraphics method and fixed FBO/PBuffer/PBufferUnique
- fixed center of rotation problems as described in this thread http://slick.javaunlimited.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4252
- InternalTextureLoader now has a method getTextureCount, which returns the number of active textures

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:19 pm 
Slick Zombie

Added the following:

Image.drawEmbedded(x, y, width, height, rotation)
- This applies a rotation transform to the vertices, allowing them to be rotated "in use"
- I decided not to use getRotation since drawEmbedded doesn't already do that; besides, drawEmbedded should act like drawing a sub image (i.e. a "fresh" image). However, getCenterOfRotationX/Y is used here.

SpriteSheet.renderInUse(x, y, width, height, sx, sy)
SpriteSheet.renderInUse(x, y, width, height, rotation, sx, sy)
SpriteSheet.renderInUse(x, y, rotation, sx, sy)

RenderInUseTest
- shows off this stuff

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:32 am 
Slick Zombie

I've been using FBOs in my own library for a while now and have not run into any problems with textures that weren't "just created." Nor have I run into any documentation about that issue in drivers. So I'm not sure what kev's commenting was on about.

In this case, I think we might be able to get rid of the ugly static method "createOffscreenImage" at the expense of changing (IMO, improving) a few things:
- Overload constructors in FBOGraphics/PBufferGraphics with a Texture parameter. That way an image that's been kicking around for a while will just be attached to an FBO, rather than having to create a new texture for that image (which is the root of this whole memory leak).
- By this logic, a single texture can only be bound to a single FBO. This means we might need to change Texture a little...
- This also means that shallow copies like getSubImage will have different behaviour. They share the same Texture object as their parent regardless of getGraphics(), and therefore any changes to the FBO graphics will be reflected in shallow copies. IMO this should have been how it works from the beginning.
- We can deprecate GraphicsFactory since it will be useless. The class was pretty ugly anyways, and we can move the capability checks to public static methods so users can handle it more eaisly.
- This "decouples" FBO/Pbuffer from Image, i.e. enabling us to expose those utilities to Slick users keen for more flexibility

May break old code if people are implementing Texture directly. I'll think about it for a while... Weigh in your thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:40 am 
Game Developer

Imho, we can't always go like this : "Oh no this would break old Applications". I said that too but REAL work showed me that this is happening all the time. So if it eventually makes the code better and increases Performance, I don't see why we shouldn't do it.
If old users a fine with the old way they don't need to update to the newiest Slick2D version.

So yeah, do it. I have some time no too. That said I would like to do some "Canvas Resizing"-Stuff. The old API uses a JFrame but LWJGL has there own functions for that which are probalty better. Dunno if I can make this work but we will see :)

Projects:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:48 am 

R.D. wrote:
Imho, we can't always go like this : "Oh no this would break old Applications". I said that too but REAL work showed me that this is happening all the time. So if it eventually makes the code better and increases Performance, I don't see why we shouldn't do it.
If old users a fine with the old way they don't need to update to the newiest Slick2D version.

I absolutely agree on this. Backward compatibility is really harmful for making clean, elegant and efficient code.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:44 am 
Regular

There shouldn't be a problem if we keep old versions of Slick available for download. So in case a game requires a old version of Slick, you can use the old version. Or you got for newer versions with the requirement to update a few things here and there.

Are there that many that update the libraries of a application without even recompiling the applications? Can't imagine that this is a wise thing to do anyway.
I'd rather have a nicely written and very fast working Slick then... a backwards compatible Slick. But I expressed this attitude a few times already. :wink:

Sure some changes will break the examples on this board or in the wiki... but thats the price of progress in my opinion. The wiki can be updated and the remaining old examples are, as the name says, old.

Nitram