Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:00 am 
I have added a new class that allows for shader support using ARB and OpenGL. Previously SlickShader only supported OpenGL, so this is an obvious step up. It still needs to be tested however.

This has yet to be pushed to the development branch. Just checking with everyone if it's ok. As far as crashing the build stage goes, the code compiles fine, it just has to be tested to know it performs its functions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:48 am 
EDIT: After moving computers, I have seemed to have lost the code. Looking for it now...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 am 
EDIT: I HAVE FOUND THE SOURCE CODE. Sadly school is tomoz, and I need sleep. I will finalise and push to dev branch when done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:14 pm 
Game Developer

Take your time, Liam. It would be cool if you could also add a (simple) testcase to avoid that the other devs have to do the initial bug phase without knowing where to get started...

Thanks,
Tommy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:54 pm 
Oldbie

I agree. A simple test would be very helpful, both from a testing standpoint and an informative standpoint (for the many people who don't understand shaders). pekhe has a shader example you might be able to use if you ask him.

P.S.: Thanks for making a shader class.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:26 pm 
Game Developer

Liam!
Please consider implementing a ShaderLoader just like the TextureLoader or SoundStore :) This way we keep the "don't load the same stuff twice" thingi. I hope you know what I mean. If you load a Shader the ShaderLoader should load the Shader and save the ressource path in a hash map to avoid loading an compiling to shaders with the same path. The Shader should have a "Shader Interface" or just the id.

Also if we really implement this, let's also add some basic shaders and more then one testCase. Shaders are something you need to leanr the hard way... sadly :/ Maybe a toon Shader or something. I could try one as soon as the Implementation is online! (I have to try my idea of a toon shader... it will be a fragment based shader, using a light source and stuff xD).
Blur/Sharpen and Emboss are something we should add to.

Also davedes has opened some issues with textures for off screen images. We should add a test where we explain how to use the FBO-Buffer for Post-Processing imho!

Anyway, awesome work Liam!

Projects:
RadicalFish Engine - Build on top of Slick2D, Ideas, Bugs? Open an Issue ticket!