Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:48 pm 
Game Developer

I replaced the old windows LWJGL libraries to fit the current lwjgl.jar (2.8.2) in use.
Now there should be no more linker errors under Windows if you run a testcase for example.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 pm 
64 bit too?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 pm 
Game Developer

They weren't part of the initial Slick source code tree so I didn't add them yet. But I could of course.
Not sure how many 64 bit Windows developers do we have in our club?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:30 pm 

Why only „developers“? Think for your 64 Bit gamer which can’t play your game. And 64Bit devs? Me +1, thumbs up, where can I vote? ;-) It was so stupid that the first thing after downloading Slick, was to update LWJGL with x64 natives.

By the way: I’am so happy that Slick is back to active development. –Will be also added to some future posts.
Greets Tobse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:06 am 
Game Developer

Tobse, we're talking about the native libs that reside in the slick "base" directory of the bitbucket source tree (slick/trunk/Slick).

If I'm not completely wrong for your game you would provide all native lib files in an appropriate subfolder like "lib". But those native libs in slick/trunk/Slick are only required to run the test cases under Windows (32 bit) directly from within Eclipse.

Otherwise we could extract all native lib files of all platforms to the base dir. Not sure if that is very helpful...

Only job I did here (compared to the original source tree from Kevin) was to replace the existing native libs with the proper ones matching the lwjgl.jar file...

Does that make sense or am I completely on the wrong track?

Cheers,
Tommy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:42 am 

OK, I see- zipped natives in lib dir, and windows x32 only unpacked in the main Slick dir.

For me it would be better also to include the x64 natives for testing. Don’t confuse x64 bit devs. But I am also for a separate lib folder and a clean Slick dir. Before I updated to the lwjgl natives, I wrote an ant script which unpacked all natives jars. It’s not clear for my why the natives are delivered as packed jar files. Ok, you need it for Webstart, and you can include them direct in the jnlp file. But is this the first thing a new Slick developer wants to do? If this it’s being considered, I would prefer the opposite: deliver all natives in a native or lib dir, and add the lines to the webstart build script, which packs the single platform dependent jars. Yes, this should be “helpful”. I singed all my jars by myself. If this is not desired, we could also deliver the pre packed and signed native jar packs.

I was not my plan to open a big discussion. But vote still for adding x64.

Greets,
Tobse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:21 pm 
Game Developer

I think the natives wrapped in jars are just part of the LWJGL distribution.

I'm still not sure about natives and Slick and their distribution. The idea with packing them to jars via build.xml is a good one.

Opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:20 pm 
Regular

Well placing libraries (native and java) within the version control system is already very questionable, because you do not develop those library files.

For resolving and downloading libraries tools like maven, gradle, ivy and so on where created.

How ever I do not understand the question of packing any natives into jars while distributing... As far as I know Slick doesn't have any native dependencies. LWJGL has and those native files are distributed with LWJGL and not with Slick.

My two cents.
Nitram

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:45 pm 
Slick Zombie

I disagree with Nitram - I think the JAR and natives should be included with the Slick package. Firstly because Slick is aimed at beginners; we don't want to complicate things by saying "Here is a list of dependencies you must also download" (we have quite a few; jorbis, jogg, ibxm, tinyline, etc). Secondly because Slick targets particular versions of these libraries -- new versions of LWJGL might break certain parts of Slick. If a user wants to try a newer version of LWJGL, they can easily download that.

I don't understand why we need to put the natives in JARs though, instead of just having a folder structure. Right now (on my Mac) I need to extract the natives from the jars in order to link to them.

Also, currently there are a few windows DLLs floating in the main Slick folder. These are duplicates and should be removed; then devs (when running tests, e.g. in Eclipse) would link to "lib/native/macosx" or whatever instead of relying on the root folder (".").

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:43 pm 
Regular

Are we talking about the development environment or the distribution of the "final" products?

So about the library files in the repository (that will turn obsolete maybe depending on the outcome of the "maven" discussion) or about merging libraries like LWJGL and Slick into one files for distribution with the developed game? The first is in my opinion not a nice thing, but there is worse. The second is nice for small projects, but likely to mess up the dependency management of larger projects.

Nitram