Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:26 am 

Yesterday I made this post about a bug I fixed involving the ant build script. Today I'm back with more cool things for this excellent library.

A working cross-platform native library unpacker and dynamic loader. No more UnsatisfiedLinkErrors! If you want to check it out, it's located in the attached bundle under the org.newdawn.slick.lwjgl package. It even correctly supports 64 bit libraries on 64 bit platforms straight out of the box. It's well commented, have a look if you are curious (and to find any pesky bugs, please)!

A fix for a JInput bug that has plagued my computer since I first started using Slick and LWJGL. Basically loading the default list of controllers isn't enough, because the HAL sometimes fails utterly and has multiple entries per physical hardware device. Couple this with an unreliable loading situation, and you get some nice program crashing bugs: but no more! Slick now prevents controllers with the same unique name from being loaded. As an ultra minor feature the environment also tells you how many duplicate controllers were removed, and how many were deemed valid.

The built in LWJGL has been updated to 2.8.4, the most recent version.

Along with my code changes have come some removal of redundant files/libraries. The natives_*.jar files for each platform have been removed.

I will be trying to get these changes pushed into the development repo by an admin/developer. Until then you can get the mercurial bundle from here. This bundle takes the repo from rev 108 to rev 112. To apply the bundle to your local repo run:
Code:
hg unbundle jmabrey_bundle.hg
hg update

If you would like a fast way to test out the cool new dynamic native library loading (after applying the bundle to your repo) simply run "ant dist" and then switch to the lib directory. On Windows the following command is enough to get a fully hardware accelerated version of slick running:

Code:
java -cp "*";"../"; org.newdawn.slick.tests.ParticleTest

I would very much like some feedback from Mac users on my new loader code, and to whether it works or not on the Mac.

Happy coding!

P.S. I plan to continue making high quality contributions to this project. If an admin could get in contact with me about getting pushable access to the repo that would be fantastic. Bundle distribution quickly loses novelty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:29 am 

Oops it looks like I accidentally broke the webstart demos. Shame on me!

I'm reimplementing the dynamic loader in a different way, and will put the new bundle in this thread (a bundle going from rev 108 to my current head rev) with a fix for webstarts. I need to see if the change's I'm making to the loader are going to break Applets, if so expect an additional bundle after the webstart fix bundle.