Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tilemaps in ECS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:36 pm 

How are tilemaps supposed to work the Artemis way?

I need to draw few layers, then draw sprites, then draw other layers.
But in all tutorials to Artemis I always find extremly simple systems.

I can have multiple tilemaps, each have sprites on them.
Normally i would go like this:

Code:
foreach map
   map.drawlowerlayers

foreach sprite in map.sprites
        sprite.draw

map.drawhigherlayers

How am I supposed to do this in Artemis? Where Map is an entity with some MapComponent and monsters are entities with some SpriteComponent, how can i process first some components and then others and then again the first components in one system?

Post subject: Re: Tilemaps in ECS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:43 pm 

Not sure I'm understanding the nature of your problem, so wave your arms if I'm completely off.

I haven't worked with tile-based maps before, but I'd try:
  • An instance of MapLayer for each layer, with some notion of Z-ordering.
  • each mob/sprite should have a BelongsToMapLayer component. BelongsToMapLayer only holds the Z value of the layer, or a reference to the MapLayer, whatever floats your boat.

create a new manager "MapLayerEntityManager"
  • override all EntityObserver methods to intercept and partition the sprite entities according to the BelongsToMapLayer value: I'd use a Bag for each Z value.
  • create a method with something like "getEntitiesForMapLayer(MapLayer)" which should return a Bag<Entity>.

in your entity system "MapLayerRenderer":
  • Aspect should match MapLayer and whatever else is needed.
  • Hold onto the MapLayerEntityManager in initilize()
  • override inserted() and deleted() to sort the MapLayer entites according the Z value.
  • override processEntites() and feed each MapLayer entity to process(), after every process(), call a separate processLayerEntities(MapLayer) to draw the sprites (get the entities from the manager).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:08 pm 

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it deals more or less with the problems I'm having with my game. I also read the sticky post about not asking questions regarding game design, but I see a few posts here about that, so I'll try :)

I'm using a tilemap in my game like the OP, although I only have one layer. My problem is updating only the section of screen you're currently seeing. How do you go about this with atemis-odb? To be clear, I have a tilemap of, say, 500x100 tiles, but my camera only covers 32x24 at any given time. How do I make the systems update only those? Preferably, I'd like not to fill a collection first and then pass that collection to every system, as I see this as not performant, but maybe that's is my only option with an ES approach?

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:20 pm 

Is each tile represented by an Entity? If so, I'd add a Cullable component with a boolean field "culled" with a matching CullingSystem (maybe built around sweep and prune. and have any related systems check the field before processing the entity.

Quote:
Preferably, I'd like not to fill a collection first and then pass that collection to every system, as I see this as not performant, but maybe that's is my only option with an ES approach?

A collection of what? EntitySystems already hold on to all entities matching the Aspect and are updated whenever an entity is created?deleteted or had components added/removed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:43 pm 

Well, I don't know if I should represent each tile with an Entity. My game can have up to a few million of those, that's why I'm asking for directions :).

Your idea will still "check" all the entities in all the systems (so you're still iterating over all entities on every system). Also, I don't really need any algorithm to check the tiles that need to be rendered, I can easily do that with the camera bounds.
Quote:
A collection of what? EntitySystems already hold on to all entities matching the Aspect and are updated whenever an entity is created?deleteted or had components added/removed.

Maybe I explained myself poorly. What I mean is that the only solution I see to this problem is, before starting to process any system, I first get the list of entities, I add those to a collection, and then I pass that collection to the systems to process. I'd like to do that without having to create a collection first if possible.

Thanks for your responses :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:52 pm 

Why don't you want to create a collection though? If you reuse the same instance, it doesn't incur a higher cost to pass a collection than any other object. But it sounds somewhat headachey since you'd need to make sure that all entities that are cull-aware have matching aspects - or you'd need to allocate a Bag/collection for each unique aspect.

Without being familiar with your code, I'd consider having a culling system that populates entity ids into a BitSet; interested systems would then check if the entity.getId() is present in the bitset before processing (extend EntitySystem and do the check inside EntitySystem#processEntities). If it turns out to be a bottleneck (though I doubt it), consider tracking whenever an entity goes from being culled/not culled - and manually manage the Entities held by affected systems (by calling EntitySystem#enabled and EntitySytem#disabled, from your culling system).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:58 pm 

There is no code yet (well, there IS some code, but nothing ES yet, that's why I'm asking all this questions before implementing anything :D)

I'll try your suggestions, thank you very much for your time :)