Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:30 pm 
Regular

Cyber Dungeon Quest

Alpha 2 is out now! Have fun!

Start Webstart

Last edited by Hardcore on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:25 am 

I loved this game, I liked how it all worked out, I think you're doing a great job! :-)

A few things I didn't like:

The window was too big. I couldn't fit it into my window. The XP bar (or at least I think thats the xp bar) was barely visible and I couldn't resize it.

at first I didn't like the controls... but then I got used to it.

There are certain buttons in there that shouldn't.. like D (gives info) or C (gives skill points).

But all in all I like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 pm 
Slick Zombie

really good work :D

works fine on my system : windowsXp sp3, 2gb of ram, java 1.6

i like it :D

- graphics can be improved, tilesets first,
- a little tutorial in-game, with simple explanation can improve your game (skippable)
- more levels!!
- a monster that resurrect monsters
- partially-invisible monsters
- a monster-generator, for example a machine that "clones" monsters,
- a better gui.. take inspiration from Diablo2, i think that no one will blame you :D For example spheres for life and mana and more artistic skill-tree. Buttons for skill selection and skill-tree are too small.. maybe you make it grow and more trasparent?
- more weapons .. this is a game about destruction, right? why not a skill that destroy blocks? so player can create tunnels (only with particular block, not with all),
- multiplayer, of course :D
- highscore system,
- monster's AI is not difficult as i want.. i explain: it's too easy for me.. you can improve this with different enemies.. if player kill dozens of enemy (combo?), why not generate some smarter, faster and deadly enemies? (see flow theory)
- game need traps! a lot of them! add a skill to detect this deadly, slowing, lighting traps :D
- neutral monsters? attack only if attacked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:39 pm 
Regular

Lighting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:11 am 
Game Developer

Cool game! Quite fun.

On a whim I maxed the area of effect weapon first. None of the enemies could compete. A slower delay between shots would help, along with a way to switch weapons faster (number keys?). This way I would want to use the big gun as much as possible, but I'd have to switch weapons during reload.

More weapons! Would be nice if they didn't have overlap. Weapons shouldn't duplicate others, but should have differing usefulness. One enemy? Use the sniper, long range, high damage, high reload delay, low mana usage weapon. Group in a line, use the lightning weapon that hits everything in a line. Group in a bunch, use the area weapon. Shoot around a corner with a laser, etc. Ever play WoW? Think all the different buttons like that.

May be cool to have grenades, trip mines, etc.

Enemies should be smarter. I easily tricked them to walk into the wall and wait while I reloaded mana.

Enemies should be harder. The most fun was being surrounded by enemies and having to move and shoot them all.

Moving and shooting should not both use the mouse. I can't run backwards and shoot forward with the current setup.

Maybe invisible enemies would be neat. Maybe they would just shimmer occaisionally, so aren't 100% invisible but can sneak up on you, eg when you are preoccupied with other enemies.

The more trickiness you can put into the game, the more depth it has. Invent a problem for the player, then invent some solutions. Invent more problems that have synergy with existing problems, and make the player get creative.

I like that you have gameplay first. You can make it pretty later. Make it fun, then pretty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm 
Regular

First of all, great game you have there, I think it has lots of potencial.

I played it a bit, and I have only one complaint about it, casting the several powers requires too much mouse clicking, you could add keyboard support or at least som buttons withthe powers to activate them, like any MMORPG UI does. I think it would benefit gameplay a lot.

That said, Its an absolutely great prototype, kudos to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:24 am 
Regular

Thanks for the feedback! I will implement some of it! (Or everything!)

Quote:
I loved this game, I liked how it all worked out, I think you're doing a great job! Smile

A few things I didn't like:

The window was too big. I couldn't fit it into my window. The XP bar (or at least I think thats the xp bar) was barely visible and I couldn't resize it.

at first I didn't like the controls... but then I got used to it.

There are certain buttons in there that shouldn't.. like D (gives info) or C (gives skill points).

But all in all I like it!

The window is 1024*768 ... was it really too big ??
Then your screen is too small :P How big is your screen?

Yes D is debug and C is cheat ;)

Quote:
Cool game! Quite fun.

On a whim I maxed the area of effect weapon first. None of the enemies could compete. A slower delay between shots would help, along with a way to switch weapons faster (number keys?). This way I would want to use the big gun as much as possible, but I'd have to switch weapons during reload.

More weapons! Would be nice if they didn't have overlap. Weapons shouldn't duplicate others, but should have differing usefulness. One enemy? Use the sniper, long range, high damage, high reload delay, low mana usage weapon. Group in a line, use the lightning weapon that hits everything in a line. Group in a bunch, use the area weapon. Shoot around a corner with a laser, etc. Ever play WoW? Think all the different buttons like that.

May be cool to have grenades, trip mines, etc.

Enemies should be smarter. I easily tricked them to walk into the wall and wait while I reloaded mana.

Enemies should be harder. The most fun was being surrounded by enemies and having to move and shoot them all.

Moving and shooting should not both use the mouse. I can't run backwards and shoot forward with the current setup.

Maybe invisible enemies would be neat. Maybe they would just shimmer occaisionally, so aren't 100% invisible but can sneak up on you, eg when you are preoccupied with other enemies.

The more trickiness you can put into the game, the more depth it has. Invent a problem for the player, then invent some solutions. Invent more problems that have synergy with existing problems, and make the player get creative.

I like that you have gameplay first. You can make it pretty later. Make it fun, then pretty!

Which area of effect weapon do you mean?
shotgun, laser or meteor?

Quote:
First of all, great game you have there, I think it has lots of potencial.

I played it a bit, and I have only one complaint about it, casting the several powers requires too much mouse clicking, you could add keyboard support or at least som buttons withthe powers to activate them, like any MMORPG UI does. I think it would benefit gameplay a lot.

That said, Its an absolutely great prototype, kudos to you.

Thx... I will add this for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:42 pm 

This isn't to bash you or anything but it looks like you're not taking into account the borders of the web browser. A lot of people still have 1024x768 native resolution monitors, which would make this game screen too large for them, because you're containing 1024x768 in a window of the same size. I'm not too savvy on how web start works, but I think it would be a good idea to either ask the user at start up, what resolution they would like (better), or to automatically adjust to the user's desktop resolution and take some pixels off the sides till it fills the web browser window.

It is my personal belief that you should assume as little as possible when making games. I have a personal habit of making all my games (if they can even be called that at this point) 720 x 480 default because all of my monitors are wide screen.

EDIT ** Oh yeah I was thinking embedding an applet not a webstart, my bad. Still, most windows contain borders that you have to take into account and this is what I really meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:42 pm 
Regular

My first attempt at pixelart top-down characters :D

What do you think?

I think I need an artist.

EDIT:

and I also think that this GTA 2 style sucks.

I will opt for a more zelda/secret of mana pseudo-isometric style !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:44 pm 
Slick Zombie

for me keep top-down, no isometric!

and keep working on it.. why you need an artist? If you do all your art your game is more yours :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:57 pm 
Regular

I am agree with Gornova81 : keep top-down, and your first attempt is great, really :wink: .

Last edited by Vince on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:10 pm 
Regular

It kind of remains me of gauntlet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:02 pm 

Gornova81 wrote:
and keep working on it.. why you need an artist? If you do all your art your game is more yours :)

Love paint made icons :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:34 am 
Regular

Okay the new version is ready.
Please help me test it so I can continue to improve it with your feedback!

An artist friend helps me out with some graphics and another friend with sound-effects.
And then I want to submit it to 2Bee games contest (deadline 15th oct).
http://www.2beegames.com/

So here is the new version:

-added new skills
-bullet time: slows time down
-nova: kills all weak monsters, stuns the rest
-sprint: sprints to target destination
-psi fists: Ultra deadly punch with PSI-POWER!

-a new map with some story
-a new monster
-new background/player/monster graphics
-lightning effects!
-removed mana regeneration
-hotkey-spell-choosing
-and more stuff that I forgot.

psionic.jnlp java webstart

Sound and graphics still just placeholders. (everything but the size...)

Will add particleeffects, cutscenes and a help-screen in future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:14 am 
Oldbie

The game is much better. I like the updated graphics and some of the new powers. Some things I would concentrate on with the time you have remaining:

1. Replace the placeholder artwork (scribble icons etc) w/ something more professional looking
2. Add a simple looping track for background music, try ModDb
3. Add some simple sound effects for each move/action, try Sfxr
4. Have levels come more often, they're part of the fun and they don't come often enough
5. Fewer waves for the elevator, add some sort of "conclusion" the player can reach

It's OK to have a shorter game with has a real conclusion which rewards the player. Right now I felt like I was being cheated by the third wave of monsters. Anyway, the game is looking great, best of luck in the contest!