Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:31 am 

I was thinking in posting a new topic about the subject, but I changed my mind...

I have been looking into Slick 1 year ago, and since that time didn't noticed any progress on the wiki. I also find it quite confusing and not organized in a "wiki" way...

I have a suggestion to make, should we make a new Topic and organize every little bit of tutorials and info of slick that are in the forums into the wiki, the mechanic would be just reply to this a new topic like "Add to wiki" or something like that, posting links to specific threads or addressing more info, tutorials, snippets... I think you guys got my point.

Even that i'm still a big NOOB in java programming, a more organized introduction may help not only me, but many others to take the juice out of Slick.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:07 am 

I would also welcome a better wiki. If I need help I mostly search the forum, but the wiki should be the place to find help without posting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:04 pm 

A while ago an actual MediaWiki was set up by liamzebedee over here, but the site no longer exists.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:49 pm 

I do believe that we should ask liamzebedee to put a MediaWiki onto the new slick2d.org website, if there is space enough... I vote for MediaWiki as, according to the topic you pointed out Dpek, it's the most user-friendly wiki-structure (Like Wikipedia).

If MediaWiki is not an option, Wikia is free as far i know, and also easy to tweak, so if we run into performance, space issues, there's a backup plan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:00 pm 
Oldbie

I used Mediawiki for one of my now defunct games. It was really nice and easy to set up.

I wonder if there is a way to install a phpbb plugin to allow the search to look on the wiki. Would be a nice feature as someone pointed out already.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:17 am 
Regular

Alright people,

http://slick2d.org/wiki

It's a fresh deployment and I have done nothing to any of the settings. Everyone is free to sign up and start throwing content at it, once things start to take shape I will impose user registration restrictions to prevent anyone from murdering the Wiki. This is a clean slate so please any of you who have worked with mediawiki in the past and would like to have a positive impact on the Slick2D community, go crazy ;)

I will simultaniously restrict user registration and link this up to the slick2d.org website in one sweep once there is enough content and information for this to be a useful resource. From that point onwards people will be able to request wiki editor access via the forums.

Cheers,
Liam

P.S. I am not liamzebedee (just to avoid confusion), I'm just another person who happens to be called Liam who is trying to help the community! Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:24 am 
Oldbie

Liam wrote:
Alright people,

http://slick2d.org/wiki

It's a fresh deployment and I have done nothing to any of the settings. Everyone is free to sign up and start throwing content at it, once things start to take shape I will impose user registration restrictions to prevent anyone from murdering the Wiki. This is a clean slate so please any of you who have worked with mediawiki in the past and would like to have a positive impact on the Slick2D community, go crazy ;)

I will simultaniously restrict user registration and link this up to the slick2d.org website in one sweep once there is enough content and information for this to be a useful resource. From that point onwards people will be able to request wiki editor access via the forums.

Cheers,
Liam

P.S. I am not liamzebedee (just to avoid confusion), I'm just another person who happens to be called Liam who is trying to help the community! Cheers.

Cool! Thank you.

I made a user account and updated the main page with some basic info. Not sure what sort of information/format we want for that page. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:44 am 
Regular

Nice one Liam! I'll register and add some pages.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 pm 

Thanks Liam... sorry about the confusion. I will register and start moving stuff from the older wiki and add new stuff ASAP. Also I made a new thread so we can organize the wiki, I suggest moving all wiki-related discussion there.

http://slick.javaunlimited.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5679

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:22 pm 

Thanks, Liam! This is awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:15 pm 

Hey!

I just started playing around with Slick2D, and I found this guy's YouTube series to be incredibly helpful in understanding the basics at work behind Slick.

I would also modestly suggest creating an entire subforum, either in General or in Slick - LWJGL 2D Game Library, titled Tutorial. It will be easier for new people, such as myself, to quickly see and, thus, find resources, as well as (hopefully) spur other Slick devs to create tutorials in order to give back to the community.

Cheers!
~cblgh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:50 pm 

Hi,
I just started a Slick2D-Video-Tutorial.
I will make a video about everything that you want to know ;)

Fell free to take a look & leave a comment with suggestions : http://www.youtube.com/user/CodingQuickTips

MFG Chin