[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Slick Forums • View topic - MarteEngine

Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: MarteEngine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 am 
Slick Zombie

Marte Engine
Version: 0.2

1. Introduction

MarteEngine (ME) is a Java videogame engine with focus in a simple, clear API for fast game development.
Major inspiration comes from Flashpunk () and Slick forum ().

2. Contribute

MarteEngine is a opensource - MIT based (see license.txt) project hosted on GitHub: do want to try, improve or help?
With Git this is easy and fun :D

There are 3 main branch:

: official content of engine, stable
: developer code, unstable and untested
: Tommy's branch, developer code, unstable and untested

You can contribute also with ideas open a new discussion here:

3. Examples

We will add test in the future, you can fine into package test/it.randomtower.test and try it online with Webstart:

: most simple example, display something. Nothing to do or interact

: need an introduction? Play pong with a friend. This example shows Worlds, Entity, collision and many important aspects of MarteEngine.

: move your tank and kill stuff on screen, using your mouse and keyboard. This example show how to use entity rotation, mouse interaction and again collision.

: jump around like Mario or Sonic! This example show how simple is build a platform

: test Tween capabilities of Marte Engine, moving around an entity and change Easing function like in Flashpunk

4. Documentation
You can find introduction, downloads and tutorials on .

Thanks to crazyandcoding, video tutorial, you can find them on !

News:

25/2/2011: MarteEngine 0.2 is out! Check for more information!

Last edited by Gornova81 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:40 pm 
Slick Zombie

news: I've added StateMachine support, example here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:43 pm 
Game Developer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 am 
Slick Zombie

With git first operation in this case is "clone" from git repository (mine), so you can have all on your machine :D
From time to time, you can "commit" local changes to your pc-repo, and then "push" on your remote repository on github :D

Start from that, I can see that you forked my repo (thanks!! :D ) but you don't push any of your local commit on github ( I can see only mine!). You can see MarteEngine , but on (from original MarteEngine point of view) I cannot see nothing just because you need to push something on github :D just try it :D

You can find a good guide for git from svn perspective :D

Just to share my thoughts :D
I don't want to have a Flashpunk port on top of Slick, instead some good ideas and practice from FP world to Slick world :D
But feel free to play with it, and share (push) your code so I can see it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Looks awesome Gornova! Totally approachable as a project too. Would be great to see the full engine on top. As and when it's ready to play with could you let me know, I'd like to write some tooling on top to allow visual creation of games (something I've been trying to find time to do for years!)

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 am 
Game Developer

Thanks, Gornova!

I think I will delete my fork then and go for a clone.

Right now I just copied stuff that I needed into my project. Before committing I would prefer to discuss issues first :wink:

For example as I already mentioned I would love to use ME in a state based game environment. This makes it necessary to modify ME from being a static container "for everything" to some instance oriented thing.
Meaning each GameState instance has its own ME instance.
If you pass the appropriate ME instance into each entity the code changes should be minimal.

Another thing is the way of dealing with commands inside of Entities. I think this is not the best design.
Imagine two game states, intro and main game. In intro you want to show the player sprite running around just for the fun of it. But because the command handling is dealt with inside Entity and so inside the Player code you cannot forbid user input on the intro screen...
So I would move the command handling stuff out of Entity and maybe move it into the ME class or even completely drop it and put it into the update method of the GameState subclass.

I will fiddle around with your code and come back to you :lol:

Cheers,
Tommy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:40 am 
Slick Zombie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:19 pm 
Slick Zombie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:12 pm 
Game Developer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:09 pm 
Game Developer

While thinking about it:

If you create something like a World class and make that subclass of Slick's GameState class then the new World class could also implement all the stuff that's currently in your ME class, like updating and rendering all the entities and handling collision and input stuff!!! This way it would already look much more like FP's World class or Game Maker's Room concept.

Right now this idea looks promising to me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:44 pm 
Slick Zombie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:17 pm 
Game Developer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:56 pm 
Slick Zombie

Update:

After branching codebase on dev branch (see first post), I'm managing some big changes (and some classes moved from src package to test, and a little of organization about it :D ).
First is World, like in Flashpunk you can have many states in your game (Intro, Game, etc..). Developer can found in MarteEngine quick and easy way to add to main game new state using World class, that will handle all stuff about render and update your entities.

Credits need to go to Tommy :D

I need more and more test on dev branch before merge on master, but for now (simple Pong example), create pong is easy:

1) make class extends slick's StateBaseGame
2) add to your game both and , both extending
3) draw some instruction about Pong into PongIntroState
4) add Entity on PongGameState: ball, two players and borders

Pong example done :D

Is a simple example, with a bit of more code than before, but now you can see better separation between states (Intro and Game).

I've decided for now to keep ME class, just to have in one place all static stuff and I'll extend it with more feature (and more general) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:26 am 
Slick Zombie

thanks to Tommy, I've integrated source code into MarteEngine, as example :D

There are many changes (good changes!), see GitHub repository :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:38 am 
Regular

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next