[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Slick Forums • View topic - [IDEA] enter is called before transitions

Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:19 pm 
Oldbie

One thing that bugs me about state based games is the enter method in the BasicGameState. The enter method is used to setup the new state before the user sees it, so that everything is in the right place. However, when transitions are used, the enter method is not called until after all of the transitions are done. This means that the user sees your state before it has had a chance to set itself up. I can think of no benefit to having enter() called after all of the transitions. Should enter be called before the entrance transition is started? Is there some reason to wait that I have overlooked?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:01 am 

I wondered about this too!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:37 pm 
Oldbie

sorry to bump this, but I would like to hear form other developers. Is there a reason that enter() should not be called before the entering transition starts? this is something that keeps bugging me. As i said before, I can think of no reason to transition into the state before the state has its enter method called.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:41 am 
Game Developer

me too, if he others are okay with it, you can change it :)

Projects:
- Build on top of Slick2D, Ideas, Bugs? Open an Issue ticket!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:51 am 
Oldbie

Thanks R.D. I'm already using a copy of Slick that handles enter before the state entrance, so if nobody objects by Monday, March 5, I'll add it to the repository.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:37 pm 
Game Developer

Yes, I think that's fine. We would also get rid of exceptions in the render() method of the GameState because enter() is not yet called.

A game programmer might then need to consider the amount of time the transition requires to finish before the entered GameState should do something useful.
Otherwise your space ship is already destroyed after the entering transition is done :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
Oldbie

I believe this case would not be a problem because the update method is still not called until the transition is finished. Thus there are no extra updates or updates with unusually long intervals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:42 pm 
Game Developer

Aaah, okay, then the fix makes even more sense 8)

Looks like a tiny code change that you could commit and push on the development branch to get used to Mercurial, Mr. Kenkron :wink:

:!: Don't forget to pull my changes before you start...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:47 pm 
Slick Zombie

This might break old code that depends on the order of enter.

Ideally there should be two methods for clarity:
entering() - before transitions
entered() - after transitions

That way a state can reset itself (i.e. re-position everything to default locations) so that, say, a fade transition will show the new state as expected. But the new state won't "start" until it has fully been entered.

We can adapt this to the current naming, which might let us include the same functionality without breaking old code.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 pm 
Game Developer

Then we just mark the method as deprecated and add the two new functions :D How about it? I don't have that much time to change stuff but may on weekend...

Projects:
- Build on top of Slick2D, Ideas, Bugs? Open an Issue ticket!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:36 am 
Regular

That is not a very good idea marking a interface method as deprecated as this forces everyone using the GameState to implement the deprecated method.

Nitram

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:55 am 
Regular

I think it would be smart to leave the enter() method called after the transition and simply add a willEnter() method that is called before the transition. That way old code doesn't stop working and anyone who wants to use willEnter() can.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:19 pm 
Oldbie

I believe I already pushed changes to make the enter method call before the enter transition. If you think it will bread old code, then it can change it back, but I don't think this is actually a code breaking change. I have not been able to come up with a reasonable case in which someone might use the enter method after a transition where it would not work before the transition, and there seem to be many reasons to call the enter method before the entering transition (load resources, reset level, do something computationally intensive without the user noticing the frame drop).

Can anybody come up with a situation that this code would break?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:16 pm 
Slick Zombie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:15 pm 
Regular

That's exactly what I was thinking: Physics. It's only a problem, though, if your physics implementation is updated during the transition. I thought the game totally froze until the transition finished, but that might be different when enter() is called before the transition.