[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Slick Forums • View topic - The revenge of the curse of the galactic empire

Slick Forums

Discuss the Slick 2D Library
It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:34 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:21 pm 
Slick Zombie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:11 pm 
Game Developer

Runs fine on my Windows 7 lappy with 32 bit.

But honestly, the music is terrible :wink:

And I would prefer WASD instead of cursor keys (better keyboard layout on my laptop). You should enable both maybe.

I like the glowy vector style. Are the explosion particles real particles or sprites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:35 pm 

Thanks for quick feedback:)
I will enable WASD in the next update, fortunately You can disable the music;).

Explosions are particles.

You can change Your weapon by first unlocking it (most weapons can be unlocked by reaching certain score or killing specific enemy) and then in main menu, go to "ship" and change the weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:44 pm 
Game Developer

Works on Windows 7 64 bit.

The Good:
Nice graphics, specially like the partial effects.

Also like bouncing off the walls when you hit them (instead of going though them).

The applet loaded fast. I don't know what you did there, but loaded a lot smoother than most lwjgl/slick games I've played.

The Bad:
Could use some polish. Clean up menus, add soundtrack, etc.

For web games I like to see controls before starting game. I know you have them underneath. A graphic of a keyboard/mouse with highlighted keys and controls next to them seem to work well for other games.

The Ugly:
Don't use Arrows + mouse. That is awkward for right handed players. Or optionally allow both WASD and arrows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:31 am 

I'm sorry, but I couldn't even figure out how to start the game. Pressing enter when "Start" is highlighted simply doesn't do anything for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:57 am 
Oldbie

the game is very good, good job!

I really like the how you did the shape graphics, all glowy and smooth. Particle explosion is just beautiful.

Really like gameplay, action and the movement of the ship, fits very well.

What I dont like are controls like others mentioned, mouse plus arrows is kind of awkward. The mouse itself could be without LMB and RMB for fire-ing (move to keyboard?), as you always want to hold down both buttons as there is no strategic advantage not to do so. It's not that you can plant a mine in some smart ambush location..it's best you plant them ASAP. I would just use one button to fire.

Sounds are not bad bot not good also, I did not expect anything out of ordinary anyway, but think it could use more sounds, even if there are 2+ for same thing, just to diversify more.

Also don't like that your web page background is almost identical to the game background so you don't know where you will bounce of the edge, where the web page ends and applet/game starts.

Keep up the good work and please report back on your earnings, I really want to know how did you market the game and how much you got of it later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:57 am 
Game Developer

Regarding selling the game:
You might want to highlight what players get if they buy the full version.
You just mention some more weapons and game modes but I think you should emphasize a bit more why to buy the game.
I mean, for a quick 5 minute shooting experience I can just play the free mode :roll:

So add more videos featuring the additional weapons or game modes for example.

Where and how do you advertise?

Some more remark: you should mention the price somewhere. Registering before purchasing is another no-go for many people - maybe change that. And finally maybe sell the beta cheaper than the final prize for the finished version (like Minecraft or Puppygames or many other indies do). And mention that price difference on your website too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:11 am 

Thanks for comments.
I added WSAD for controls too, You can also use 'C' to fire both weapons at once. Precise shooting with specific weapon makes sense with later weapons, so I will leave it like that with mouse.

Marketing - nothing specific, just posting about the game + sending press packages to websites about indie games (although I havent sent any yet). Maybe I will spend some cash on google adsense to make the playerbase slightly bigger.

Here You can see some of the extra weapons in revenge of the curse

I will make more videos soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:53 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:37 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:05 pm 

muhaha
<first place in every mode xD
the aim gun seems to be the reason for the exception. only crashes when i use it.